There have been some implementations regarding the Australian Citizenship. Let us see the major requirements at a glance
Basic Residence Requirements
You should demonstrate a minimum of ‘four years permanent residence’ just prior to application for citizenship with maximum of 12 months outside of Australia in this time period.
Introduction of an English Test
• An applicant should portray a competent English language skills (Speaking, listening, reading and writing) before being able to sit for the citizenship test.
• Exemptions: However, the persons who are over 60 years of age or under 16 years of age at time of application have been exempted. Besides, persons enduring permanent mental or physical incompetency and passport holders from United States of America, Canada, Ireland, United Kingdom and New Zealand need not to go through such test.
• New test questions on Australian values and privileges and responsibilities of Australian Citizenship have been added.
• Now, those who will fail in three attempts at the citizenship test would get a ‘two-year bar’ on applying for the citizenship (However, there is no limit to the number of times an applicant can fail in the test).
• Applicants who will attempt to cheat during the citizenship test will be failed automatically at once.
Australian Values & Community Integration
• There is an introduction of the Australian Values Statement in the application forms to include reference to allegiance to Australia.
- There is an extension of requirement for individuals aged 16 years and over to make the Pledge of commitment
• Integration of evidence into the Australian community i.e. employment or actively seeking work, being an active member of community or voluntary organisations, ensuring school enrolment for eligible children, properly paying taxes etc. has been enacted.
Criminal Records & Social Security Laws
•One of the biggest implementations would be the Criminal Records are being solely relevant. The law protectors will be assessing an applicant for any conduct that is contrary to Australian values such as - domestic violence, criminality including procuring or facilitation female genital mutilation and involvement in gangs and organised crime.
Call us to today to get consultation to review your eligibility to apply for citizenship.